There are over 3.930 billion email users . This figure is predicted to reach 4.371 billion by 2023 which is a growth of 3% yearly - Radicati Group (2019)
There are 3.9 billion email users worldwide who send and receive 293.6 billion emails per day. - Radicatti Group (2019)
912.909 legitimate emails are sent every second, making 3.286.473.696 legitimate emails per hour - Internetlivestats (2019)The number of email users is still growing. 73% of EU individuals aged 16 to 78 use internet to send / receive emails in 2018. Compare this to only 48% in 2007. – Eurostat “Individuals using the internet for sending/receiving e-mails” (2019)
People prefer email for commercial communications
81% of US online shoppers are more likely to make additional purchases, either online or in a store, as a result of emails based on previous shopping behaviors and preferences. - Harris Interactive
More than 60% of customers (those 25 or older in particular) would prefer to be contacted by brands via email. Adobe “Email Use 2017 – US Report“ (2018)
72% of consumers say that email is their favored conduit of communication with companies they do business with. 61% say they like to receive promotional emails weekly and 28% want them even more frequently. - MarketingSherpa (2015)
86% of professionals prefer to use email when communicating for business purposes. (HubSpot, 2017)
73% of consumers say email is their preferred marketing channel 73% of consumers named email in their top two (out of eight) in terms of preference. DMA “Acquisition and the consumer mindset 2018” (2018)
83% of consumers say email is one of their preferred methods brand communication, with Facebook as far second with 38%, postal mail 27%.Email Addiction study, EmailMonday (2018)
70% of consumers find email to be their #1 preferred channel for recieving commercial messages - CG Selections "Nationaal Email Onderzoek" (2017)
35% of consumers estimate they open 75% or more of all the marketing mails they receive. 14% of consumers open all their emails. – DMA “consumer email tracker” (2017).
66% of consumers have made a purchase online as a direct result of an email marketing message - Direct Marketing Association (2013)
One in five (19%) of consumers said they read every email newsletter they receive just to see if something’s on offer. - Forrester Research "North american technographics survey" (2014)
In 2014 consumers delete less promo emails without looking, down 25,4% relative to 2010. - Forrester Research "North american technographics survey" (2014)
More users ages 12–17 are using email than are using either Snapchat or Facebook. Even as monthly Snapchat usage among 12–17-year-olds jumped from 39% in 2014 to 67% in 2017, email adoption grew from 69% to 82% over the same period. - Forrester Analytics "Email Marketing Forecast, 2018 To 2023" (2019)
Email is mobile
By the year 2018 worldwide mobile email users are expected to total over 2.2 billion. - The Radicati Group "Email Statistics Report 2014-2018"
Mobile email will account for 24 to 77% of email opens, depending on your target audience, product and email type. - eMailmonday “the Ultimate mobile email stats” (2019)More email is read on Mobile than on desktop email clients. 61.9% of email opens occurred on mobile, 9.8% on desktop and 28.3% in a webmail client. – Adestra “Top 10 email clients” (2019)
Mobile clients account for 41.9% of email opens during Q1 2019, followed by webmail opens at 39,9% and desktop opens at 18,2% – Litmus “The 2019 Email Client Market Share” (2019)
More useful mobile email marketing statistics here.
Email marketing is The Hot New Channel, according to the Wall Street Journal. Here is the ten year challenge to prove it:
And email marketing?
87% of B2B content marketers use email marketing for lead nurturing - CMI "B2B Content Marketing Research" (2019)
61% of companies generate more than 10 percent of sales from email - Econsultancy "Emailmarketing census"(2018)
Marketers consistently ranked email as the single-most-effective tactic for awareness, acquisition, conversion, and retention. - Gigaom Research "Workhorses and dark horses: digital tactics for customer acquisition"
The worldwide market for email marketing will reach US $22.16 Bn in 2025. The industry has an expected annual growth rate of 19.60%. - Transparency market research “Email Marketing Global Industry Analysis” (2017)
Email is almost 40x better at acquiring new customers than Facebook and Twitter - McKinsey & Company (2014)
DMA research puts the ROI of email marketing in 2018 at US$ 32.28, better than any other direct marketing channel and up from 30.03 the year before. - DMA UK "Marketer email tracker 2018" (2018).
Email Marketing is the biggest marketing channel on Black Friday, driving 28% of revenue. Email marketing was the biggest in sales on Black Friday. While sometimes behind online search (free and paid), on Black Friday email marketing was the primary channel. - Ometria (2017)
75% of marketeers say emailmarketing is bringing them a good to excellent ROI. - Econsultancy "Emailmarketing census"(2018)
... but why not calculate your own email marketing ROI
Media hype often leads to "email is dead" headlines, followed by praise for whichever new technology killed email this time.
Numerous authors have addressed this issue of email's longevity and use. Here a selection:
"Email is not dead because people want to write to one another, using their email accounts, in more than 140-character bursts," - Neil Schwartzman, Executive Director, CAUCE
"Email is not going to disappear. Possibly ever. Until the robots kill us all," says Paul Buchheit, a founder of FriendFeed
- The Hot New Channel for Reaching Real People: Email at The Wall Street Journal
- You’ve Still Got Mail by Brandon Verblow, Forecast Analyst Forrester
- Generation Z Holds The Key To Email: Study
- Newsletters are immortal by Dave Pell
- Even GDPR Can't Kill Email by Kath Pay and Tim Waton
- Why no one has 're-invented' email yet
- Why email is like Schrödinger’s cat. by dotmagazine
- Is email marketing dead among younger demographics? by David Kirkpatrick at MarketingDive
- The Triumph of Email at Netatlantic
- 4 data points to help you build the case for a bigger email marketing budget
- Email isn’t dead, but your strategy might be by Elliot Ross.
- Putting up a fight: 7 reasons email survives
- Consumers: Keep Those Emails Comin'!
- Why email marketing is still the leader of the pack by Skip Fidura
- Work Horse Vs. Show Horse — Is Email Marketing Being Undermined by the Lure of Social Media? by Louis Foong.
- Email relevancy in Marketing - Still mailing after all these years
- Brands are wasting time and money on facebook and twitter, report says by Chris Gayomali
- Americans Have Had A Huge Change of Heart: Starting To *Like* Email by Lara O'Reilly
- Email Is Still the Best Thing on the Internet by Alexis C. Madrigal
- The Influence of Email Marketing Messages by The DMA
- What do teens think of email? by AWeber
- The Bandwagon Has Room by Simms Jenkins at ClickZ
- The death of email as we know it? Not so fast by Jesse Singal at the Boston Globe
- Is Social Media Going to Kill Email? by Andrew Spoeth of Marketo
- Social not a threat to e-mail by eMarketer
- Is Social Media Impacting How Much We Email? by Jon Gibs, Nielsen
- Email and Texting Top Social Media in Gen Y by Jennifer Van Grove, Mashable
- Email is Social, and it's not Going Anywhere by MarketingSherpa
- Why Facebook and Twitter Won't Kill E-Mail by Anna Maria Virzi, ClickZ
- Email isn't dying, it's just turning into social media glue by Chris Lake, Econsultancy
- Teens Don't Drink Red Wine, Red Wine Will Probably Go Away by Loren McDonald
- Don't ask "Is email dead?" ask this instead... by Mark Brownlow, Email Marketing Reports
- A Deluge is Underway; is Email Waterproof? by J.D. Falk, Return Path
- Why Social, Mobile, and Email Are BFFs (Not Archenemies) by Morgan Stewart, ExactTarget
- Email: In Transition, Not Fading Away by Loren McDonald, Silverpop
- Email is dead... by Laura Atkins, Deliverability Consultant
- Why Everything is Better than Email by Jordan Cohen, Food for Naught
- Email marketing still works by Gail Goodman, Constant Contact
- The threat of social media? by Jerry Flay, All About Email